Videos depicting the events at the Capitol will be allowed to remain if they come from news organizations or condemn the violence
TikTok


By David Cohen

43 mins ago

Outgoing President Donald Trump does not have a TikTok account, but the video creation application detailed other steps it is taking in response to the storming of the U.S. Capitol Wednesday.

Videos from Trump’s speeches in which he shared baseless claims about election fraud are being removed from the platform for violations of TikTok’s misinformation policy.

However, TikTok will continue to allow “counter speech,” or use of videos from Trump or his supporters in videos created by TikTok users to respond to their claims, such as by using the app’s green screen effect.

As for videos depicting the events at the Capitol Wednesday, they will be allowed to remain if they come from news organizations, or they condemn the violence taking place.

TikTok said last December that it would begin introducing opt-in viewing screens on top of videos that some viewers may find graphic or distressing, and those screens are being added to newsworthy content related to Wednesday’s events.

Videos containing that screen may still appear in users’ For You feeds, but they will have to choose between skipping the video or “watch anyway.”

Finally, TikTok is proactively blocking hashtags such as #patriotparty and #stormthecapitol, much as it previously did for hashtags including #qanon and #stopthesteal. The platform would not share the full list in order to keep its safeguards in place.

A TikTok spokesperson said, “Hateful behavior and violence have no place on TikTok. Content or accounts that seek to incite, glorify or promote violence violate our community guidelines and will be removed.”